June 4, 2017

ACL surgery and Turning a Sewing Corner

So, big blog absence.  Reason:  I tore my ACL while playing rec center volleyball and had to have it surgically reconstructed.  I'm still in therapy but am back to mostly functioning (still no driving, which is annoying, but I can deal.)

I was still actively sewing before my injury and am starting to get back into it, and I think I've finally turned a corner.  The garments I'm making are starting to consistently turn out well.  Before now, it's always been a bit of a crapshoot, and I was never willing to risk any "good" fabric on basically anything.  I'm still learning which shapes I like on myself and haven't loved everything I've made, but I don't feel so much like a beginner.  Maybe for a lot of people this was a much shorter journey, but I was a little busy with other things along the way. :)

So I'll recap at least a few of the garments from the last chunk of sewing.  This is B6411, part of the Lisette line, and I just loved the look of the ruched wrap.

When I first finished it (minus hems) this was my favorite garment I've ever made.  I love the fabric!  However, when I went to actually wear it, I cut too much off the hem, and it took the proportions off a bit.  Then the long sleeves looked wrong with the short skirt, so I hacked them off, and now it looks like a t-shirt a bit.  But, I still love it, especially because I wore it for my"paper wedding".  (After we started seeing the bills for my surgery, we realized it was worth it to go ahead and make our marriage legal ahead of our ceremony so that my SO could have health insurance - had the ACL happened to him, we would be over our heads in debt!)



In an ideal world, I'd let the hem down some and cut the sleeves to more of a cap sleeve, but I make no guarantees. (As I write this, I'm wearing it just as-is again).  It's a perfectly good summer dress, and those are important right now because of the lovely leg brace you see in the picture.

I'm off to see Wonder Woman - hope everyone's having a good weekend!

January 8, 2017

The Last Half of 2017

Happy New Year, everyone!  The last part of the year has been a roller coaster and a lot of chaos, which is why I have a backlog of projects/news to be posted.  In the interest of spending more time sewing and less time worrying about said backlog, I'm going to quickly mention each thing here and then move on with my life. :)

1. I got engaged!  The BF proposed to me in front of Hogwarts in Universal studios.  Will I be sewing my wedding dress?  Hell no - it's going to be stressful enough, and I'm a full time professional.  Ain't nobody got time for that.  It's also not going to be until 2018 - so the major effect on this year's sewing will be that I want to make sure to watch the amount of money I'm spending on fabric.

2.  I made a couple of dresses - Simplicity 2145 and Vogue 8766.



The first wasn't too bad overall, except the neckline showed off WAY too much, and I added the option waist wrap section shown below and it didn't sit nicely.  I also didn't like the pleated sleeves in the fabric I used.  Not that you can see much of that, due to the busy print.
This is a weird angle - the BF didn't want to get off the couch, so I look like a mountain woman.

The second, I was actually pretty thrilled with.


The fabric is pretty hideous (might work on a person who doesn't basically match the background color), but the bust fits much better than I thought it would.  I did some serious slash and spread on this pattern, and ended up with some huge darts, but I think the end result is worth it.  I've had several versions of this with the circle skirt bottom planned, and with the bust sorted I might actually get to them this year. The darts are done through the main fabric and the lining at the same time in the instructions, so in combination with my huge darts they're pretty noticeable right here, but that can be changed.


3.  I went on a crafty project spree.

I made the Tooly Tool holder (pattern from Craftsy).

I made a really basic tote bag from my beloved tie dye material, and....

I made my first real purse, the Dollie Crossbody (free from Swoon patterns).  It isn't perfect, and I would probably enlarge it 2x for my next attempt, but overall I was pretty darn pleased with the outcome.



All of these were completely from stash, with the exception of some fusible fleece for the bags.

Phew!  With that out of the way, on to the new for this year!  I'm currently working on a muslin of a button up shirt pattern (Simplicity 2151).  If it works out, I have some really cool novelty prints that I think I can still pull off for work.  I did ask for work clothes for Christmas, so my work wardrobe should be in a better place.  Maybe I'll get through the muslin and want to work on something else, or maybe not.  I've got a full schedule of ASG Stitch Camps for this year, and I intend to take advantage of as many of them as I can.  Hope everyone's new year is full of sewing!