September 6, 2014

#OONABALLOONAPALOOZA (just a little late)

    So I actually completed this dress BEFORE oonaballoonapalooza happened, and if I'd had my shit together, I might have entered.  But I didn't, so whatevs.  Too busy doing important chemistry things, yo.

Last round of hotel selfies, I promise.  Next time we'll be back to my equally bad normal photos. :)

     This was basically meant to be a test run of Vogue 8379, and a way to use up this crazy fabric that I got in the massive auction haul of 2013.  It's not all that well finished (for instance, the self-facing on the wrap side is just raw), which I think could be part crappy instructions, part me ignoring said instructions.  But once I got it all put together, I liked what I saw.  I'll be honest, it took a  bit of working up to it to wear it in public, but once I did, an amazing thing happened.  No less than seven complete strangers came up to me and told me they loved my dress.  This has never ever happened to me in the history of ever. I even went to get my hair cut and got talking to a woman who was in the process of making her daughter's wedding dress who told me it looked nicely finished. No, I didn't let her look at the inside, otherwise she would have backtracked so fast it would have left skid marks.


The only real change I made to the pattern was to extend the sleeves by some random amount that was as much as I could squeeze out on my fabric (I know, the precision is astounding).  I really hate cap sleeves so I knew I would want more length there.  I could use a little more bust room, but the wrap style is pretty forgiving in that regard.
Guys, taking a picture of your own back? Hard.  But I wanted to prove this is all one print. One eye-searing print.
    The test run being a success, hopefully sometime soon you'll be seeing version #2, in something a little more subdued.  However, there's already a Ruby Slip in progress, and I finally got the Lady Skater cut out.  If the Lady Skater works as well for me as it seems to for the rest of the blog world, there's a distinct possibility you may see nothing but those for a good long run.  I am really making an effort to use both patterns and fabric I already have, because I've (hopefully) got less than a year before graduation, and the less boxes of fabric I have to pack, the better.

   Speaking of real life, I'm in the highly stressful stage of starting job interviews for jobs next fall. So far, I am 4-for-4 on getting first round interviews, but that still doesn't get me great odds for getting an offer out of it.  If you all would like to cross your fingers that I can get a little bit further in the process, that would basically be the best thing ever.  I'll have been in school for a solid 21 years at this point (oh god, that's depressing), so the idea of finally getting a job where I can use what I've learned to solve real world problems is massively exciting.  Not to mention getting evenings and weekends off. (As I write this, I am eating breakfast in my office at school.  I had to get in early because there's a football game and the buses are completely overloaded with drunk people later in the day.)

   Anyway, any opinions on this garment?  My real life peeps have a pretty wide range of opinions about this print, and I'd be curious to hear what you think.  Off to lab!

7 comments:

  1. I think this dress is great – very flattering. I'm not surprised that you got so many compliments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like Pucci with that wonderful fabric. Who cares about the finishing, it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to google Pucci, but his stuff definitely looks like things I would wear if I "had more money than sense" as my grandma likes to say. My own knockoff, then. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow! Beautiful shape on you with wonderfully dreamy fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  5. I second Annie. That shape and cut definitely looks great on you! I personally do not like loud fabrics but the print does look great on you.

    ReplyDelete