March 14, 2014

Vogue 8670

Yet again, I needed something easy to break up working on the steampunk costume. This is a new pattern to me, and according to Vogue it is a "close-fitting, straight, below hip top". It's a pretty basic raglan sleeve tee pattern.  I made view C, which has a scrunchy turtleneck collar and long sleeves.  Of course, the weather is starting to warm up finally, but I'll get a little wear out of it yet.


This is also a stashbusting project. For financial reasons, I'm sewing completely from stash, and it's very likely I can sew all year with what I have right now.  This particular fabric was a tube knit that just barely fit all the pattern pieces, so there are no leftover chunks to figure out what to do with.  It's also a lot heavier and nicer than the crappy polyester knits I usually use, so I know I'll get a lot of wear out of it.

For doing absolutely no pattern adjustments whatsoever, I got really lucky with the fit on this.  Esepcially after looking at the pictures, I can see that the fit is definitely much looser than intended (considering the neck is supposed to be a regular turtleneck, not a funnel) but it works for me.  Big 4 sizing strikes again, but now I at least have a starting point, and I love that it's nice and long out of the envelope.

I'd like to say that after this, I'm going to power through and finish the steampunk coat without any other projects in between, but I think at this point that would just be dishonest.  I'll try to work on it some more (have I mentioned lately how much I hate gathers?), but I've already got another few easy projects stewing as possible things to cut out next.  Actually finishing this is such good motivation, I'd rather run through a bunch of fun easy projects and enjoy myself than tackle something crazy complicated and get stuck.
All that was left of the fabric after cutting - I'd call that stash-busted!

1 comment:

  1. I can see what you mean about funnel vs turtle neck and a bit roomy, but I think it looks intentional, not accidental. I like the colour, always had a soft spot for purple.

    ReplyDelete