March 4, 2014

Real Life Hits Home...

Fair warning: this post is only tangentially sewing related.

My boyfriend got laid off yesterday, out of the blue.  This still leaves us better off than many people (and thank goodness we just got tax returns), but the grad student salary is designed to barely support one person, let alone two people and two cats. He has a lot of good experience on his resume now, but there still just aren't that many jobs out there.  I have faith that he'll do whatever he needs to do to keep us going, but it hurts my heart to see him so stressed out when this was no fault of his.

Of course, this obviously means no spending money on anything except necessities, which of course includes fabric.  Hopefully necessity proves to be the mother of invention and I come up with some beauties from the stash that I wouldn't have otherwise created.  I've got about $5 left on a JoAnn's gift card from Christmas, and that's my sewing budget for the foreseeable future.

Luckily, this has really put things in perspective for me about what is really important.  If it came down to it, I'd sell all my sewing supplies in a hot second to keep everybody warm and fed (and warm is not cheap this winter!). As much as we drool over huge fabric stashes and fancy machines, there are things that are far more important, and once we get back on our feet, I think I'll be diverting some of my sewing budget to provide for those that don't have the basics.  It's amazing what a little perspective can do.

Besides, I wouldn't be a real twenty-something if I didn't have to exist on ramen for a while, right? Right. :) Hope everybody's staying warm!

2 comments:

  1. What terrible news. Employment is often tied to our sense of self worth so being laid off is hard to accept on several levels - starting with how to pay the bills.
    This is, perhaps, the benefit of a stash. You can still sew with what you have. Save the gift card for notions that need replenishing.
    Bad things do put things in perspective. Its' good that you can see that, not many can.
    You will get through this and look back on this time period maybe not all that fondly, but I suspect it will impact you as a couple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear this! But you have a positive outlook and that will help.

    ReplyDelete