January 11, 2014

"I Just Can't Quit You"

So remember the part where a while I said I wasn't blogging anymore because I didn't have enough time and I really couldn't invest the emotional energy to do this?  Well, forget I said that.

What's changed? A few things.  For one, I've more or less got my head back on straight.  I'll be honest, the last few months of 2013, I was in a really bad place mentally.  Grad school is more a test of grit and drive than anything else, and I was dismally failing.  Even after I came back from going home for Christmas, the first day back felt like my own personal circle of hell.  I decided I couldn't live this way, and actively changed my outlook, and so far it seems to be working.  Things that would have sent me into a days-long downward spiral a few months ago can be looked at more objectively, and I can really choose to be okay with them.


The new year is full of inspiration for everyone, of course, so I've really gotten back on the sewing horse hardcore.  I'm really trying to follow the tips that Lauren lays out in this post, and in combination with all the things I've learned lately on how to trick yourself into forming good habits, I've done some amount of sewing every day of 2014 so far (No, this may not be a big deal for some people, but it is for me.)  The thing that surprised me was that the more I force myself to sew, the more I want to sew.  The more I want to sew, the more I want to share it.  Even when I wasn't blogging, I share things on Craftster, and I'm also the leader of the sewing guild on HabitRPG, but it's just not the same.  As I was working, I was also thinking about what I want to share, or document for myself for next time, and I was sad when I realized I wasn't going to be able to do that.

So moving forward, what's going to be on here?  Whatever I feel like, whenever I feel like it.  I'm relearning how to take control of my life instead of letting my circumstances control me, so if I am only able to publish once every two months, that is okay.  If I keep up my current sewing rate, there will definitely be more finished items to share than in previous years.  I have the additional motivation of knowing I will be moving sometime in 2015, so I really need to sew up some of my stash!

I've got two things currently in progress on my sewing desk: the Simplicity 2172 steampunk coat, which is easily the most complex thing I've ever sewn, and yet another Renfrew top, which I'm using to break up the larger coat project as I need to.  I'm not giving myself any deadline to complete them, but I'm guessing you'll be seeing something before the end of January.  But if not, it's all good. :)  Happy sewing!


1 comment:

  1. Grad school is a challenge and lots of people go through ups/downs. I remember when I was ready to quit but I refocused and began to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Sounds like sewing is a great creative outlet. Can't wait to see your steampunk coat!

    ReplyDelete