July 13, 2013

Why hello there...

... I'm not sure if you remember me, since it's been over a month since I blogged.  This month kind of got away from me for a variety of reasons, none of which are terribly relevant.  The important bit is that I'm back, and with a finished garment, no less!

This maxi skirt started life as the bottom half of what was to be New Look 6864, at least a year ago, probably more.

     I went to the trouble of attempting a sort of FBA for the front, as those triangle tops are never as big as I need them to be comfortable.  I meant to do the main pieces in the print and the straps and waist in a contrast color.  I cut the print pieces out but never found a good contrast color.  In the process, the contrast pattern pieces got lost, I gained some (not a lot, but some) fitting knowledge and realized the top would be wonky as all get out, and I honestly just wanted to get something wearable out of the whole darn mess.  Considering I wore it twice within the first week after I finished it, I think I succeeded.

I also used a different elastic waistband than my usual lazy elastic casing.  I know I didn't make it up, but I don't remember where I saw it.  I just serged one side of the elastic to the waistband, then flipped it in and stitched over the top. Easy-peasy and so much less bulky, which was important since this is a decently heavy polyester.  I would have a picture, except my camera cord is currently missing. :p

There's really not a whole lot to say about this skirt: it was easy to make, I can dress it up or down, and I think it's a flattering style for me.  All-around win.  Next up, I've almost finished the muslin for a GenCon costume for myself (as opposed to every other one I've made, which were all for my BF).  As soon as I find my camera cord, I'll get it up here!

No comments:

Post a Comment