July 29, 2013

A Cameraless Blogger is a Sad Blogger...

...especially because I actually have been making progress and have things I want to show you!

I finished a muslin for my steampunk coat, made from Simplicity 2172, and am cranking on the real version for Gen Con.

At the same time, I am making good progress on a pair of khaki Thurlows I cut out ages ago, and have cleaned and reorganized the sewing area in preparation for easier projects after Gen Con is over.  I just  wanted to pop in and say that I'm still here.  I have a wedding to go to for a childhood friend this Saturday, so I will have to rip the entire apartment apart to find that darn charger. Then the posts will come, oh how they will come.  Until then, I hope everyone's summer sewing is going well (or fall sewing if you're one of those people ahead of the game)!

July 13, 2013

Why hello there...

... I'm not sure if you remember me, since it's been over a month since I blogged.  This month kind of got away from me for a variety of reasons, none of which are terribly relevant.  The important bit is that I'm back, and with a finished garment, no less!

This maxi skirt started life as the bottom half of what was to be New Look 6864, at least a year ago, probably more.

     I went to the trouble of attempting a sort of FBA for the front, as those triangle tops are never as big as I need them to be comfortable.  I meant to do the main pieces in the print and the straps and waist in a contrast color.  I cut the print pieces out but never found a good contrast color.  In the process, the contrast pattern pieces got lost, I gained some (not a lot, but some) fitting knowledge and realized the top would be wonky as all get out, and I honestly just wanted to get something wearable out of the whole darn mess.  Considering I wore it twice within the first week after I finished it, I think I succeeded.

I also used a different elastic waistband than my usual lazy elastic casing.  I know I didn't make it up, but I don't remember where I saw it.  I just serged one side of the elastic to the waistband, then flipped it in and stitched over the top. Easy-peasy and so much less bulky, which was important since this is a decently heavy polyester.  I would have a picture, except my camera cord is currently missing. :p

There's really not a whole lot to say about this skirt: it was easy to make, I can dress it up or down, and I think it's a flattering style for me.  All-around win.  Next up, I've almost finished the muslin for a GenCon costume for myself (as opposed to every other one I've made, which were all for my BF).  As soon as I find my camera cord, I'll get it up here!