April 17, 2013

For A Given Definition of "Fabulous"...

So my single, solitary goal for sewing in March was to make one garment that made me feel fabulous.  When I wrote this, I was enivisioning a dress. Any dress, really.  But as the month got about halfway through, I thought maybe the Thurlows could be my fabulous garment; a well-fitting pair of pants would certainly be a new experience for me.  As those dragged on, I eventually accepted that I would probably just be failing at the goal for this month, and I'd just make whatever I felt like.  What I settled on was Jalie 2911, mostly because I had already traced it off, but the piece of sweatshirt fabric I had originally wanted to use was too small.  However, in the auction haul was a lovely large piece of somewhat light sweatshirt-y material (it's not really fuzzy on the back side, but is the same type of knit and weight) in teal/turqouise/blue-green/whatever.

First off, I have to explain about this color.  This is MY COLOR.  My boyfriend once asked if I had bought stock in that color, because I wear it so often.  My winter coat is teal, the fleece I wear at work is teal, my childhood bedroom was painted teal, the one cocktail dress I own is teal.  I think you get the picture.  This is the one go-to color that I know I will love, no matter what.  Not every single variation looks great on me, but very few of them ever look straight up bad.  It's safe in that way, but I never seem to get bored with it.  So the fabric had that going for it.

Unfortunately, it turned out a little too big (you can totally see the shoulder seams dropping off my shoulders), and I'm definitely not in love with how the hood detail in front looks on me, not to mention how many times I had to unpick those corners on the front to get them even remotely straight. You can see in this picture how the armscye is definitely too low....


And in this one how HUGE the hood is on me.  I know some people like that look, but it just looks silly on me.
Trust me, this was the best picture I had, and no, I don't know why I look like I'm praying here.
 It'll do for hanging around the house, for sure, and I'm really not terribly broken up about it.  I keep giving it the side-eye thinking I can tear it apart and resew it smaller, which I could do.  If I were to make it again, I'd definitely trace the next size smaller and do an FBA (you can see some pretty significant drag lines in the first picture), but like I said, I just don't like how the front detail thing looks on me.  Someone with a smaller bust might be able to pull it off better, but it's just in a weird place on me. So I doubt I'll be making this pattern again.  In fact, we're going on a donation run for the thrift store I got it from this weekend; maybe I'll just donate it back to them. But for this one, I think it's best to throw it in the closet, see if it gets pulled out, and give it some time to steep for a while.  It might get remade, it might not.  Luckily, the other garment I made in March is definitely growing on me, though I wasn't in love with it at first.  I'll get a post up about it in a few days.  In real time sewing (not backlogged projects), I've got my khaki Thurlows cut out, and this weekend looks wide open for sewing.  Hope everyone has a great Wednesday!

1 comment:

  1. Help me Obi Wan Kenobi...
    Oh wait, that was a hooded dress. ;)

    It is a lovely colour on you. Think of it as a top layer in cold weather kind of shirt and the extra room will seem intentional. A design feature you might say.

    ReplyDelete