February 4, 2013

Liebster Award!

So Seraphinalina oh-so-kindly awarded me the Liebster blog award the other day, which is for little blogs with <200 followers (holding strong at 8 right now, so I definitely qualify.)

Not gonna lie, I was pretty pumped about this.  It's like I'm a real member of the sewing blog community now.  Or something.

Anyway, onto the requirements!  First, eleven facts about me:

1.  I played in the athletic bands (marching and basketball) in college and many of my fondest memories are from those performances and the people involved.

2.  I absolutely HATE being late to anything, and would always rather show up ridiculously early  than be a minute late.

3.  I only started wearing makeup last year, at age 24.  Bit of a late bloomer there, but I'm having lots of fun with it now!

4.  I am an avid reader, and most of my favorites fall into the fantasy category.  However, I appreciate any book that has an interesting universe or setting; it's almost more important than the characters to me.

5. I love lists, and absolutely cannot survive without my hard copy (aka not electronic) planner.  I will keep doing that until they pry my notebook from my cold, dead hands.

6.  I  LOVE trivia. Scholastic Bowl in high school was my absolute favorite thing ever. If there was any way I could make a living doing something like that, I would do it without a second thought.

7.  My biggest pet peeve (with people, anyway) is arrogance. To my mind, there is nothing that anyone can do that makes them intrinsically better than anyone else.

8. I have always required a lot of sleep.  Even in college, I was never a night owl because I get super cranky when I'm tired.

9.  My nickname for years in school was “Fishsticks” which I decided to spell "Fishstix" because then it was cooler, and then it became my screen name for everything.

10.   Before I found sewing, I burned through a ton of different hobbies. I could never stay with one thing long enough to learn to do it really well because something else would draw my interest away.

11.  I am not one of those people that agonizes about haircuts.  I'll randomly see something that makes me want to get it cut, then go do it that day.  If it looks bad, it'll grow back.  Whatevs.
 
Now, to Seraphinalina's questions:

1.  Where is the farthest you have travelled? My junior year of college, I studied in Galway, Ireland for a semester.  Before that, I had never even been on a plane.  Scary stuff, but it turned out to be one of my best life experiences so far.

2. Do you seek out salty or sweet foods? Sweets, all the way.  I have a horrible sweet tooth, which I come by honestly, as my mom is the same way.  I appreciate salty snacks as well, but if I could only have one, it has to be sweet.

3.  What is your favourite movie? My favorite movie isn't exactly a movie - it was a made-for-TV miniseries in the early 2000s called The Tenth Kingdom.  I literally wore the VHS tape out on my first copy.

4. Tell us about a time in your life where there was a shift - in attitude, work, home, relationships, - something that changed going forward.  When I was in school, I was terribly terribly shy.  I had a very small group of friends who I still keep in touch with today, but otherwise, there were some kids at my school that never heard me talk unless it was to answer questions in class.  Then, when I was a sophomore in high school, I was drafted up to the varsity volleyball team, where everyone was at least a year older than me.  Because I was forced out of my shell, I finally started to open up and lose a bit of the shyness, though that process wasn't complete until sometime in college.  But looking back, I can point to that season and say that it was the turning point for me.  And now, you can't get me to shut up!  ;)

5. What is it about fabric that catches your eye? Like many other sewists, I'm drawn to bright colors and loud prints all the way.  Luckily, I enjoy dressing that way too, so usually I don't pick out anything I absolutely won't wear.

6.  What is your favourite season?  Gonna have to go with spring on this one.  I hate cold weather, and plan on moving somewhere warmer as soon as I graduate, so spring is always so exciting because I know it means the end of winter.  Plus flowers, rain, etc.  But mostly that winter is over.

7. What sewing gadget could you not live without?  I'm not sure if it really counts as a "gadget", but my serger.  I am the laziest seam finisher ever, so 99% of my seams are serged to finish them.  The only exception is if there's a particular reason not to.

8. What is your favourite thing in your closet?  Currently, I'd have to go with the tie-dye skirt I made during the summer.  I've been trying to find a winter way to wear it, but unfortunately I don't have any boots that are comfortable enough to be on my feet for 12 hours in, so it hasn't happened yet.  

Finally, the nominations! Except that every single blog I thought might qualify on my reader had already been awarded this.   So I'm totally taking the cop-out route here: anyone who is reading this, qualifies, and hasn't had it yet is nominated!  The only caveat is that you have to come out of lurkerdom and say hi!  If anyone chooses to do this, I'll come up with my questions at that point.

Thank you again Seraphinalina, and I hope everyone enjoyed learning random stuff about me.  I know I like these types of things because they give you a perspective on the person outside of sewing.  Speaking of sewing, the grey skirt is being put on indefinite hold until I can figure out a way to fix it that hopefully doesn't involve seam ripping every single seam I've put in so far.  Theoretically the next thing is the Thurlow muslin, but I always procrastinate at the cutting stage because it's such a hassle at my house.  Hopefully I can get my butt in gear!

1 comment:

  1. Well it was a well deserved nomination, I hope it brings you some traffic. I liked reading a little more about you myself.

    ReplyDelete