January 1, 2013

Trading Up and January Goals

   Hi guys!  So normally I'm not a New Year's resolution person at all, but the last few days something's been swirling around in my mind that I wanted to share.  It's not a resolution, so much as....a theme, maybe?  A motto to keep in mind?  Whatever you call it, my goal for the new year is to think about the long game.  Trading in short-term rewards for long-term ones.  In my head, this has morphed into "trading up."  I realized that my strategy pretty much encompasses most common New Year's goals all in one.  Is the short term happiness of an extra cookie worth the extra pounds later?  Sure, working an extra hour sucks now, but it'll keep my boss off my back later.  Does the thrill of buying something new outweigh the thrill of seeing my student loans get paid off?  It's just something I'm going to try to keep in mind in the coming year.  How it pertains to sewing is finishing and quality.  Because I have so little time, I've been very much a slap-something-together kind of seamstress, and that needs to change. Even when I do love what I've made, it won't last very long anyway.  If the long term goal is to make a new wardrobe, I need garments that will last. 

     With that in mind, as well as knowing that during the course of this month I have to do an oral research proposal defense as well as submit a paper for publication, I'm going light on the goals for January.

1. Finish floral cardigan that I have cut out.
2. Make a muslin of the Thurlow pants.
3.  Do something with grey sweatshirt fabric - I have this vision of a Beignet-style skirt with black buttons.  But it's sweatshirt fabric.  So we'll see how that goes.

I'm not anticipating a ton of action in the sewing room coming up; however, I am going to try to post more in between completed projects.  I have an organization one coming up next week some time, and we'll see what else I come up with.  I know it's super cheesy, but I always feel so lifted by the fresh start of a new year.  Here's to 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment