January 6, 2013

Cuuuuuuuuuuuuubes!

I don't know if I've ever been so excited about a piece of furniture.  As with every new year, I got a wild hair to organize my apartment.  Of course, the messiest part of this involves my sewing area.  I can keep the actual table cleanish, but there's a large space between the table and a bookcase next
 to it that looked like this:



As you can see, it just became a landing pad for anything that I didn't have room for, and just looked so messy no matter what I did.  With Christmas money, I bought myself a new shelf (Closetmaid Cubicals is the brand) and went to town.  It was actually really easy to assemble, and I planned to get it all set up, then really go through all my supplies and get them properly sorted.  Of course, as soon as I did this and dragged everything out, we got a notice that they were showing our apartment the next day!  So some stuff is not terribly organized in the cubes themselves, but I think it still looks a hundred times better.


 Of course, one of the cats instantly decided this was a perch for her, so the pile of fabric on top has since been relocated, to keep it from becoming completely matted with fur.  While I was doing this reorganization stuff, I cleaned off my actual table and finally took my good old Brother machine to the storage unit, which means the training wheels are off, and I have to learn how to use the Viking or not sew at all. I also managed to get all my "in play" fabric put back into the drawers under my table.



 My goal for the year is to get my fabric and pattern stash down to where all of it fits in these drawers and the cubes.  Currently the patterns are in another cabinet with the BF's Dungeons and Dragons miniatures, and there's another large Rubbermaid container of fabric and old clothes in the storage unit that needs to either be used or given away. I think at this point I've maximized my storage capacity in the space I have, and since we're planning on staying in this apartment until I finish my doctorate, I need to condense my stash to fit easily into it.  I'm not 100% satisfied with the setup yet, so I imagine I'll keep tweaking it as time goes on, but our hallway looks so much neater now! 

I have actually been getting some sewing done, and already have a couple of blog posts in progress, so hopefully I can keep posting about once a week or so. 

P.S. I know the title is kind of goofy, but I started writing this post while at work after a 13-hour day in lab on Saturday.  I've been a little sleep-deprived and I thought it was the funniest thing ever at the time. So I kept it.

No comments:

Post a Comment