January 23, 2013

A Five Minute Recon

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but my first love craftwise was actually reconstructing clothes, not sewing from patterns.  I actually remember getting on Craftster and thinking, "Who would ever want to sew from flat fabric? That would be so boring!"  Obviously, I have since seen the error of my ways, but every once in a while I feel the need to recon something.

This particular recon was one of necessity.  In keeping with constantly trying to pare my wardrobe down to only things that fit and flatter, I was working on purging some things.  One of the reasons I constantly have so many clothes to purge is that my mom and grandma are hard-core yard salers (I would be too if I didn't work on Saturdays) and every time they visit, they bring at least a bag or two of things they've picked up for me.  This shirt was in one of the last bags they brought me, and I knew I wouldn't wear it as is.  It was time for this garment to step up or step aside.  Luckily, when working with yard sale clothes, I'm pretty fearless about attempting recons, as I know no one paid more than a dollar for the thing in the first place. :)


I love the colors, as I'm a sucker for anything rainbow, and the neckline worked pretty well on me.  However, the giant bow-thing had to go, and I couldn't deal with the elastic in the bottom. Luckily the bow was just tacked on and not sewn into any seams, and I had enough extra length at the bottom to just chop off the elastic and hem it with a twin needle.

Et voila! A wearable shirt that will actually make it into the rotation and not just waste space in the closet!  I promise that I repressed this hem after I saw the picture, it is not actually that bubbly. I'm not 100% in love with the cap sleeves, but I've got plenty of jackets I can wear with it, so that's not a problem. (I'll also know not to wear a sports bra with it so you can't see the seam lines!)

Anyway, I think it took longer to write the post than it did to do the actual work, so I'll stop now.  But moments like these are yet another reminder why I'm glad I can sew.

No comments:

Post a Comment