November 28, 2012

Back with a Vengeance: The RP Collection

So remember how I had this post about how I just was so busy and couldn't get anything done?  Don't ever let me use that excuse again, because somehow, in the midst of one of the busiest times at work yet, I managed to crank out a ton of stuff! Granted, a large portion of this was made possible by the fact that I can write papers at home, so even though I was extra busy, I could sew in between writing, something I usually don't have the capability to do.

I think this was mostly a fortuitous combination of panic-induced sleeplessness with motivation to avoid the frustrating parts of my project (as in, "I'll just sew one more seam, then I'll finish that paragraph...")  Most of the things I made were very quick projects, but it moved a lot of fabric from the to-do pile to the closet, as well as getting me back into the swing of sewing, so I'm okay with it.

So the final tally is:
2 Renfrews
3 Sweatervests
1 Workout Tanktop



(Sorry, they had to be dressform pics, otherwise this post would NEVER have gotten finished...) The Renfrew fabric was originally from my "3 in 3 out" challenge....from June. Well, better late than never, right? The V-neck on the pink one was a huge mental workout for me.  The actual band turned out really well after only two tries (with some additional hand basting), but then I went and ruined it with super uneven topstiching around the band, which I'm too scared to rip out because it's a really thin knit.  Oh well, live and learn.  It'll be good enough for lab. 








I almost didn't mention the sweatervests because they are so easy, but the challenge now is to make button-up shirts to go with all of them! This is also all of the old sweaters that I had earmarked for this, so it's a completion thing.















The tanktop is something simple that's been in the back of my mind for a while.  It's cut out of a men's XL long sleeve shirt, and the material is that heavy moisture-wicking sports fabric.  I used Simplicity 9214 for the basic front, with 2 inches added in the torso, and then just freehanded the back piece based on the front piece. It's also my first time using fold over elastic, and I can feel an addiction coming on...


     Coming up...I took some cutting on my Thanksgiving trip back home, as it is approximately a bazillion times easier to cut fabric without two cats and on a large table instead of the floor like I have to do in my apartment.  I made a list and have come up with 11 pieces I can make using fabric I already have, with the small addition of the Thurlow pattern to my collection.  So some serious stashbusting is hopefully on the horizon.  With Christmas shopping and all, I really shouldn't be spending anything on new things when I've got so much already.  As always, we'll see how well that plan works out. ;)  Here's hoping it's less than a month until my next post this time! :p

No comments:

Post a Comment