October 24, 2012

Things I've Been Doing Instead of Sewing

I think the title says it all, doesn't it?

First and foremost, I've been in the process of completing my last two big requirements to become a full Ph.D. candidate!  Then it should be just labwork and smooth sailing until my thesis. (Right?)

Secondly,  I've been having a fabulous time learning about makeup.  My two favorite YouTube channels for this are Beauty Broadcast and Makeup Geek.  This is a very dangerous thing, because remember back to the first time you got interested in makeup.  Then put that enthusiasm with an "adult" budget.  Yeah.  I think I've done all right so far,but I make no guarantees when all the holiday sales start.

Third,  I've joined a LARP! (Live Action Role Playing for all you non-gamers.)  It's my favorite tabletop gaming system, new World of Darkness Changeling, and the people I play with are FABULOUS!  I have to work some pretty long days to make up for taking a large part of Saturday off for it once a month, but so far it has proved worth it.  In sewing terms, it means that once I do get time to sew, I'll have a very good excuse to make some awesome costume pieces. 

I guess I just wanted to say that I am still here, aware that this blog exists and every day it is languishing for lack of sewing projects.  I have a Renfrew with all of one seam sewn that I  occassionally shuffle around on the table, but with my general lack of energy (see reason #1) it's just hard to want to work on anything either by getting up crazy early or after a long day in lab.  It sounds like the general advice when mojo is completely gone is not to force it, and it will come back in its own time.  I'm trying not to be too impatient with myself, and hopefully you all understand.  In the meantime, I will try  to post a little more often, even if it's just more "real life" type stuff rather than just sewing stuff.  Hope everyone's having a fantastic fall so far!

1 comment:

  1. My husband used to LARP pretty frequently and speaks so fondly of his old characters. I went once as his ghoul to a vampire LARP, it wasn't quite my thing. I don't think fast enough to be in character, I'll stick to D&D where I can talk on behalf of my sorceress. I did like the dressing up part though. That was fun.

    ReplyDelete