April 28, 2012

What Have I Gotten Myself Into? MMM ‘12


Well, it’s official….

'I, Alicia of Sewing For Real Life, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May '12.  I endeavour to wear one self-sewn or refashioned garment three days a week for the duration of May 2012, and to document the evidence at least once a week.'

Go here to sign up!

So I’ll admit that this was a very spur-of-the-moment decision.  Several factors probably should have discouraged me from doing this: it’s the end of the semester, so I’ll be extra crazy busy, and it’s still in the 40’s here so it’s far too cold to wear the skirts that make up a large part of my me-made wardrobe. On the other hand, it made me say, “If not now, when?”  My workload for grad school will not lighten considerably in the foreseeable future, and the weather should warm up at least for the second half of May, so if I can manage it now, that should make it so much easier later.  I also felt like a bit of a wimp for only doing 3x per week, but I literally don’t think I have enough pieces for every day.  We’ll call it a warm up round. I think the biggest effect will be having to be presentable 3 days a week.  It's sad that my appearance has taken such a backseat to everything else, so hopefully looking better will help me feel better. 

I do actually have a finished garment to show, but I was hoping there’d be a nice day to show it off.  Since that doesn’t appear to be the case any time soon, I’ll try to get inside pictures tonight. 

2 comments:

  1. I think the challenge depends very much on your own closet and climate. If 3x a week is a challenge for you, then don't knock it, you aren't wimping out. You can't sew faster than shopping, building a wardrobe takes time and what's the rush? You'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're always so smart! The more I looked into it, the more even 3x a week is looking pretty scary, so it will definitely be a challenge. There were a few other people doing it 3x, and I guess if you think about it, we're only a small sampling of a specific group of sewists. Even 3x a week is so much different than what any "regular" person (I almost said "normal" :P)could manage, I just have to keep it all in perspective.

    ReplyDelete