November 16, 2011

Burda 108-09-11; Why I Can't Wear Batwing Tops

I told myself that this top was just a trial, something to get myself used to tracing patterns and the infamous Burda instructions. What could be easier than a two piece top with cut-on sleeves?   So why did I use a fabric I actually liked which, by the way, was completely the wrong print for this style anyway?  But it turned out not to matter, because...
Doesn't look horrible, right?  (Ignore the stretched out neck binding, I'll get to that in a minute)  However, when I raise my arms (which I do actually do on a regular basis during a day)...
Magically, everything becomes a crazy wrinkled mess and gets completely hung up on the girls.  Even if all the other problems with it were gone, I can't wear a shirt that does this and try to teach in it.  No more batwings for me.  However, as sad as I am about the top itself, I really shouldn't be.  Here's why:
1.  It accomplished the original goal: trying out a Burda pattern.   I did the tracing with my extra awesome setup of a pencil and marker taped to a ruler:
2.  As much as I liked the print, that knit really was crappy quality, and wouldn't have lasted very long anyway.
3. As my advisor would say, sometimes it's just as important to figure out what doesn't work as to figure out what does.  Now I'll no longer be tempted by those tops.  Ever.

So really, no big deal.  Moving forward, I think I'm going to stay away from knits for a while, until I save up enough to really get some decent stuff online.  This probably won't happen until after Christmas.  I also realized just how dire my pant situation is, and that I will have to give in and buy a few pairs of RTW jeans to make it through the rest of the year.  Of my three pairs that fit, two have been patched more than once, and one pair has big acid holes down one leg.  It's time.  But that's just even more incentive to keep grinding on my pants muslin.  It's going, but slowly.  Other than the perpetual pants, I'm looking to start a collared shirt (because I can and it's not knit) and am sensing some reworking/recycling projects shortly. Stay tuned.

ETA:  I changed the title of this when I realized I had multiple hits coming from people searching "bu.sty girls" on Google.  Creepy!

No comments:

Post a Comment