September 5, 2011

Yard Sale Wrap Skirt


So I finished my wrap skirt a few days ago, just in time for a few days in the 90’s here.  This was a really easy, but the hand sewn rolled hem took several hours (about 4 episodes worth of Star Trek).   As far as pattern issues, I did end up taking about an inch off the top of the panels before I sewed on the waistband, because otherwise the wrap would have fit me at about rib cage level.  Yes, I am of the generation that doesn’t wear anything at our natural waist, but trust me, it would have been really high.  Also not sure how it was supposed to fit a 31-44 waist this way, when I’m on the very low end of that measurement and don’t get much wrap overlap.  I even safety pinned it in place at work, just to make sure there were no wardrobe malfunctions.


This is how I wore it to school; there are hunter green converse cut off in that picture. I tried to get a waistband shot to prove it's actually a wrap skirt and not just a dirdnl, but the fabric basically matches my skin and none of them looked good, so just trust me on that, okay?

I also can’t wait to wear it in winter, with one of my favorite tops of all time, and sweater tights I have been trying to find a way to wear for a couple of years now. I was really excited that this looked good; I was expecting the fabric to make it look very granola-y, but it actually works alright.

This pattern seems like it would lend itself well to lots of incarnations, but I'm not sure if I'll be trying any of them soon.  A large portion of that is because there's no good way to put pockets in this style of skirt, and I carry everything in my pockets at work.  But, it's a functional, cute skirt that passed the all-day wear test, so no regrets about this one. 

Next up, I’m in the process of making a test garment of Simplicity 2594, View B.

I have a really cool flannel-esque plaid I’d like to do it in, but I’m not sure how the style will work out on me, so I’m just going to try it out.  Practicing pleats before I do the real thing probably won’t hurt either…

No comments:

Post a Comment