August 21, 2011

Hiccup and Henrietta


Well, it wasn’t one of my official choices from the last post, but I did finish a garment.  Since I already had it all cut out, I went ahead and finished the Hiccup tunic for the BF.  I do need to add buttonholes to the neck to thread leather cord through, but that will most likely be something that happens right before he needs to wear it.  Mostly because I have to fight my machine to make decent buttonholes.  He likes it, it was easy, and it actually got me into a good schedule for my work week.

Since I work about 70 hours a week, my sewing time is pretty short.  However, I’ve started going to work slightly later, and sewing in the mornings before work.  By the time I get home, I’m usually too exhausted to get much done, so this has really been helpful.  Getting things done gets me more excited about sewing, which makes me more likely to work on it even when I’m exhausted at night.  It’s an encouraging cycle.  I’ve also developed a hierarchy of sewing tasks.  If I’m not too tired when I get home, I sew.  Once I’m too tired to sew, I cut or mark.  After I’m too tired to do that, I lay in bed and either sketch out plans or look through my sewing books until I go to sleep.  It sounds a little pathetic when I write it out this way, but with Saturday being a regular workday for me, I don’t have the luxury of a couple full days of sewing over the weekend.  I have to fit it in when I can.

In other news, I GOT A DRESS FORM!  I’ve been scouring Craigslist and shopgoodwill.org for at least a year now, looking for a dress form in anything resembling my size.   Two days ago, I finally got my hit.  On Craigslist I found a new-in-box Singer DF-150 for $70.  Not extremely cheap, and I almost didn’t buy it, until the BF offered to split the cost with me (He knew how long I’ve been looking for one, and considering I sew all his costumes, it might help him too!).  When he picked it up yesterday it still had the original packing straps on it and everything.  It blows my mind to think that someone paid to get one and never opened the box.  Whereas I made him pick me up from work and put it together while dinner cooked, then went back to work. 
 
Of course, the most important decision with a major new piece of sewing equipment is the name.  Having my…generous proportions, she needed a bodacious name.  Meet Henrietta.  She actually needs to be a little more bodacious in a few areas (I’m an F cup with a 13” difference between waist and hips) but she’s alright for now.  She will be my primary model for in progress projects and on bad hair days.

Speaking of in progress projects, I’m cranking on Simplicity 8121.  It's cut out and about half assembled, so hopefully I'll have that to show before the week is out!  Off to get a little more done tonight, hope everyone is having a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment