July 26, 2011

Newly Moved

So, one of the reasons I chose to start this blog right now is because as of yesterday my boyfriend and I moved out of a less-than-ideal neighborhood and into a happy clean new apartment.  One of the feature of the new place is a cutout in the hallway that I have claimed as my "sewing nook".  However, the current state of the nook is this:

Obviously, first order of business is to clean out the nook and put in a table and chair so the machines can get set up.  I've already got my first two projects picked out, and the fabric set out.  Off to organize!

4 comments:

  1. Oo, you could build the perfect sewing furniture!
    Building a ceder trunk or two or three is definitely on my to-do list, trunks are ever so much prettier than rubbermaids.
    And there's plans for a "sewing table for small spaces" that folds out on knockoff wood. (http://ana-white.com/2010/10/sewing-table-small-spaces)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the ability to build my own furniture is a ways off yet, but I did find a folding table that should fit quite well in there. Definitely bookmarking that link though. Anything's better than what I had in the old apartment, which was using the kitchen table. I agree, cedar chests for fabric would be absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently learned that all you actually need is a drill and a sander! If you get wood at Home Depot or Lowes, they'll cut it for you. You just have to have a plan ahead of time so you know exactly what you need.
    Can't create true furniture works of art that way, but certainly nicer than anything you could buy on any sort reasonable budget!
    The hardest part is getting over the fear of screwing up and just getting started! Kris built a hutch for his desk last weekend, and it really didn't involve anything I couldn't do. It just seems scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I didn't know that! I'm actually pretty handy with power tools, so that's not the scary part. I was just used to having all the tools of my dad's garage at my disposal and didn't think much could get done without all those things. Food for thought...

    ReplyDelete